Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"2012" Trailer Actually Kinda Awesome

Let's face it: Roland Emmerich hasn't really had a hit film in a while. He experienced mainstream success with Stargate and Independence Day, hit a snag with the box-office bomb (but still fun to watch) Godzilla, rebounded with The Patriot, then returned to disaster movies with The Day After Tomorrow. (He also did 10,000 B.C., but we don't really need to mention that, do we?) Anyway, his new one 2012 looks a bit too much like The Day After The Day After Tomorrow, but I'm willing to give it a shot, mainly because of its badass teaser trailer:



I'm sure you're wondering, "Devin, what makes this trailer so badass? Freaked-out monk gets devoured by giant tidal wave, that's it. Not sure what all the fuss is about." Really? Well, let me point you over to this:



So, really, I could change the title of this post to just read "Song from 'Shining' Trailer Kinda Awesome," but figured including the "2012" trailer would make it more topical.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

whats the name of this song???

Devin said...

Good question. I tried to find the answer before I wrote this post, but I came up with nothing. Most likely it was part of the original score Wendy Carlos and Rachel Elkind composed for the film, which due to licensing issues, is currently out of print. As he did with "2001," Kubrick had an original score at his disposal but he opted to remove most of it in favor of existing classical music.

Anonymous said...

i think that im determined to find it! lol... but the only thing i found is that it could be called "clockworks"...

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon this blog after typing in "2012 trailer + awesome" on Google, because I had a sneaking suspicion that I wasn't alone in my grudging respect for the trailer, notwithstanding the utter crapitude of every other Roland Emmerich film. I'm glad that it's not just me, and that there is something to admire here. At the same time, I think I was more impressed by that knock-out visual (CGI waves have come a long way since The Perfect Storm), than the music. At the same time, Wendy Carlos is pretty awesome (she underwent sex reassignment surgery way back in the 80s, I believe).

Anonymous said...

Rediscovering Lost Scores, Vol. 2

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/Rediscovering-Lost-Scores-Vol-2/Wendy-Carlos/e/21561817623

song is "Clockworks "Dies""

Anonymous said...

ok. finally found a link, but the original song is quite different from what is used in these trailers...

http://hyperfileshare.com/d/49cb44c2

Anonymous said...

luckily, i found a link for the shining called "the ultimate bootleg soundtrack", with clockworks "dies" on it, hopefully it will be the same version as what is used in the trailers.

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/39738649/rocky+horror?tab=summary

Anonymous said...

http://rapidshare.com/files/177080993/The_Shining_-_Ultimate_Bootleg_Soundtrack_OST.rar.html