Saturday, November 05, 2005

New Kong Trailer! Plus, more movie stuff...

Click here for King Kong-related goodness.

So, apparently, Peter Jackson's in a little bit of trouble 'cause his rough cut is over three hours. I say leave it! There are plenty of excellent three-hour movies (Magnolia, to name a more recent one) and it certainly looks like this film will be excellent, at least if the trailers are any indication. I rarely get this excited about a film.

Oddly enough, another mainstream motion picture that I'm really looking forward to is coming out in a couple weeks: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I hadn't picked up a Harry Potter book since I read The Prisoner of Azkaban in eighth grade and I finally got around to reading the fourth one over the summer. It's definitely my favorite Harry Potter book. Let's hope it becomes my favorite Harry Potter film.

Alright, getting back to more artsy films ('cause I know most folks think that's more my style), Merri and I saw Broken Flowers on campus this week. It fits right in with Lost in Translation and The Life Aquatic as Bill Murray's more intellectual comedies. What set Broken Flowers apart from these films is the way in which writer/director Jim Jarmusch creates a world in which Bill Murray is the only sane person and that everyone else is totally nuts. I also think the ending hit just the right note of uncertainty and confusion. If you're the kind of person who wants a well-rounded story, with a clearly defined beginning, middle, and end, don't see this film.

No comments: