Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Something different for Christmas

Christmas is almost upon us and every year, I try to look for different or unusual-sounding Christmas albums. This year, I came across Bright Eyes' A Christmas Album, which is only available for purchase from the Saddle Creek online store. It's just eleven bucks, and all the proceeds go to the Nebraska AIDS Project. It's a bizarre-sounding Christmas album (especially during the flourishes of electronic noise in "Away in a Manger" and "Little Drummer Boy"), but when Conor Oberst hits just the right blend of classic holiday atmosphere with an indie-rock texture, it's a wonderful thing.

MP3s:
"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"
"Silver Bells"

When I bought the album, it came with a signed Bright Eyes postcard, but can anyone tell me who it's signed by? My first guess would be Conor Oberst, but I can't make that name out of the scrawled signature. The first line is obviously "THX," meaning "Thanks." Anyone wanna take a crack at the rest?

Also, I've received little or no comments on my Hall of Awesome entries. What do you guys think of them? Are they providing actual insight or are they just coming off sounding like Pitchfork Lite? (Also, I've added Hall of Awesome links to the sidebar for easy access.)

1 comment:

Devin said...

Ahhh...I see "Devin" in it now. It makes sense. Thanks!