Saturday, May 20, 2006

A new look for Criterion

The Criterion Collection has changed their logo, as well as their entire website, and so far, I'm not liking the new look:



While the new, simplistic logo will allow for more space on the DVD cover for the awesome artwork Criterion is well-known for, the old logo made it so easy to tell what was a Criterion Collection DVD, sort of like a "Mark of Quality." Film buffs everywhere recognized it. But now it looks like they're just aping other DVD company logos.

For further proof, check the cover for the upcoming release Equinox (with the old logo) and the cover for Noah Baumbach's Kicking and Screaming (with the new logo). I just think it looks too cluttered, that's all.

I guess I shouldn't be complaining as long as the content stays the same. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Jacques Tati box set they keep hinting at in their monthly e-mail newsletters.

At least a neat Flash intro came out of all of this.

No comments: