Tuesday, June 27, 2006

New DJ Shadow tracks surface...

Gorilla vs. Bear has unearthed a couple of new tracks from DJ Shadow, who is set to drop a new LP, The Outsider, sometime this Fall.

DJ Shadow feat. Q-Tip and Lateef Enuff mp3
DJ Shadow This Time (I'm Gonna Try it My Way) mp3

Personally, I think they both sound a little too glossy for Shadow, whose past albums, Endtroducing... and The Private Press, are staples of the indie electronic crowd.

He must've been thinking the same thing, 'cause on his blog, the Shadow had this to say:

    "In some ways, it's a risky record. It's going to turn some people off. And I think I'll lose some fans. On the other hand, I know I'll gain some new ones. That's a fair trade in my mind. Besides I can't see playing it safe at this point in my life."
Sorry, but these tracks not only sound like he's playing it safe, but maybe a little too safe. What happened to old school Shadow? Tracks like...

DJ Shadow The Number Song mp3 (from Endtroducing...)
DJ Shadow Six Days mp3 (from The Private Press)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

definately wait with your final comments untill you've heard the full album. 'this time' is great. and the rest of the album is still a mystery to most of us, so be positive.

Devin said...

Yes, "This Time" is the better of the two, but it's still not primo DJ Shadow. Of course, since I always give musicians the benefit of the doubt, I will most certainly be one of the first in line for a copy of the new album.