Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Camera Obscura, Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

My relationship with Scottish pop group Camera Obscura has only lasted for the better part of three weeks, but that didn't stop me from taking in their live show at Carrboro, North Carolina's Cat's Cradle. All in all, I must say that I was very impressed. Lead singer/songwriter Tracyanne Campbell is the tiniest person I have ever seen perform on a stage, yet she carried the show without hogging too much of the spotlight. They performed nearly every track off their latest LP, Let's Get Out of This Country, as well as an ABBA cover, to satisfy, in their words, all the "Swedophiles in the audience tonight." They even took the title track of their last album and worked the ending so that it segued into a brief cover of Paul Simon's "You Can Call Me Al."

Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out of This Country (MP3 - sorry, no Paul Simon cover)

All in all, I think that my money was well-spent. The opening act, Georgie James, was most impressive as well, consisting of former Q and Not U drummer John Davis on vocals and guitar, and singer/songwriter Laura Burhenn, as well as a really cool bass player (Adam Robinson) and drummer (Cale Parks).

Georgie James - More Lights (MP3)

Tracyanne Campbell

Camera Obscura

The Rest of Camera Obscura

And even though my brother and I had a really good time, I doubt we had half as good a time as this guy:

No comments: