Monday, August 28, 2006

Spotlight on "Grudge 2"

The Grudge was not one of my favorite movies the year it came out. I thought it was too disjointed, and the fact that they just took the same concept (in the same location!) as the original and just made the cast American seemed like a cop-out. Granted, it did have a brilliant opening and the first case of a woman doing all the right things (calling the authorities, leaving the premises, etc.) and still getting killed. Now, we have The Grudge 2...



I thank the filmmakers for not trying to pull this elongated title bullshit on us, just simply "The Grudge 2." Also, I think this trailer's pretty solid. Sure, it goes for a ton of easy scares (some of which I hope won't give away too much about the film) but I loved the use of that oldies classic "I Only Have Eyes for You". I also appreciate the fact that they don't try and make it look like Sarah Michelle Gellar is a major character. No; her character dies early in the film. Sorry, didn't mean to spoil the surprise for you, but the trailer said so.

In other horror news, all my friends keep telling me to see The Descent, but I'm still not convinced. What's so damn good about it? No one has been able to tell me. I also hate to say it, but I'm actually looking forward to Saw III. Despite the bad acting in the first Saw and the obvious "haunted house" gimmicks of the second Saw, I have been unable to predict the endings of both films and have been pleasantly surprised. Let's just see if they can do it again.

No comments: