Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Save PBS!

I've never used this blog as my own personal soapbox (at least not in terms of political stances and community service pleas), but I received some e-mails from Common Cause and MoveOn.org informing me that a House subcommittee has voted to cut funding for public broadcasting, under the grounds that National Public Radio and the Public Broadcasting Service has a "liberal bias" in their programming. Oh, give me a break. Are Republicans still upset over the "Travels With Buster" controversy?

I believe Democratic Rep. David Obey (Wis.) says it best. "Americans overwhelmingly see public broadcasting as an unbiased information source. Perhaps that's what the GOP finds so offensive about it. Republican leaders are trying to bring every facet of the federal government under their control. . . . Now they are trying to put their ideological stamp on public broadcasting."

So, in the interest of keeping shows that I've grown up with, like "Sesame Street," alive, I've added a button to the right side of the screen which takes you to this Common Cause page, where you can learn more about Congress' decision and how you can act out against it!

No comments: