Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Spoon, Gimme Fiction


After many weeks deliberation, I finally went out and bought the new Spoon album. After obtaining said album, I have decided that I would've pre-ordered it months ago if the group had done the following two things differently:

1. Replaced the cover image with the image in the booklet of the Red Riding Hood character holding the decapitated head of the Big Bad Wolf.
2. Make "The Two Sides of Monsieur Valentine" the lead single instead of "I Turn My Camera On"

But I digress. This is a great album. Britt Daniel has the uncanny ability to sound like John Lennon and Paul McCartney AT THE SAME TIME! This is especially evident in the opening track, "The Beast and Dragon, Adored" and "They Never Got You". While the album does seem to lose steam around the second half, the first half is filled with non-stop hits that infect your brain with their incessant catchiness. I've even started to enjoy "I Turn My Camera On," a song that, upon my first listen of it, I thought to myself, "Is this by that band that everyone's making such a big deal over?" Believe me; the hype is true.

Also, if you purchase the album (you know, with money, at a music store?) you get a bonus EP of outtakes and demos, so c'mon, go out and support the artists, por favor!

No comments: