Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Went music shopping. Be back at 6...in the morning.


The Middle of the Centre
Originally uploaded by devpd.

Drove down to B.B.'s Compact Discs and did a little browsing for new music. Sorted through the indie section and came up with some interesting stuff.

On a recommendation from Stereogum, I listened to the new album from Oneida, entitled The Wedding. While I did like the instrumental variety of the album, I was unimpressed with the actual songwriting. I might just have to download that one.

I was, however, blown away by a 2004 Sub Pop release by The Album Leaf, In a Safe Place. It's a remarkably beautiful downtempo electronica album, kinda like if Ben Gibbard had teamed up with Sigur Ros to form the Postal Service, instead of Jimmy Tamborello.

Here's some MP3s, courtesy of Sub Pop.
"Over the Pond"
"On Your Way"


Is it just me, or does a lot of experimental electronica seem to be coming from Iceland? You can go ahead and add The Album Leaf to the list. The band also remixed Nina Simone's "Lilac Wine" on the Verve Remixed 3 compilation.

No comments: