Saturday, September 24, 2005

Simple weekend post...nuff said

Well, I am utterly exhausted because of a combination of things. The fact that I had to work long shifts today and yesterday, the fact that I had to get up at seven in the morning to help shoot a commercial for the Flicker Film Society, and the fact that my dormitory has been without power since Friday morning. Luckily, power is restored, but you have no idea what a bitch it is trying to sleep in a hot room at two in the morning, knowing you have to wake up five hours later.

With that being said, I'm going to give a quick summary of what has been happening the last couple days:

1. I saw Ken Burns give a lecture.
Ken Burns is a pretty cool guy. He talks exactly like the narrators do in his documentaries. Since his lecture was being brought to us by the Creative Writing and English Departments at UNCW, he didn't talk about anything film-related. Mostly, his lecture was about history in general and how we need to pay attention to it, etc. He's a good speaker, keeps you interested, but I am kinda glad that student tickets were free. I don't know if I'd want to pay to see him again.

2. Merri and I saw "Corpse Bride."
"Corpse Bride" was a lot of fun, just as I had expected. The story is very engaging and the animation is, like always, top-notch. My only qualm is that it was over much too quickly. It's only about 78 minutes long and I felt it was quick to fade out at the end. There were a handful of unanswered questions, the most important one being what happened to Victor Van Orten's parents? I felt that was an obviously overlooked plothole. Oh, and the musical numbers weren't particularly catchy. I can't remember how any of the songs went. Still, it's worth your money.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have a paper to write for World Cinema class. Have a good weekend, everybody!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, oh firstborn of mine, I have to disagree with you about the tunes in this flick. I thought the number performed by the skeletons in the Land of the Dead was very catchy...although I do have to admit that I can't recall the name of it right now. But it was still a fun musical interlude. I do agree that the film was too short.

Devin said...

I think out of all the tunes in Corpse Bride, I liked the skeleton's song the most.