Monday, September 26, 2005

Slowly revisiting past albums...

So, now that I have entered hour 4 of studying for my biology test, I have also had the opportunity to revisit a lot of music I bought this year, and I am now reconsidering certain albums for re-inclusion back into my Best of 2005 (So Far) list:

Ben Folds, Songs For Silverman
At first, I was utterly devastated that Ben Folds' new album was not only a lot shorter than any of his other albums, but it sounded way too much like an old Ben Folds Five album. Plus, the excellent quality of the original songs on the three EPs Folds released in the last two years made the somewhat mediocre songwriting on Silverman (at least by Folds' standards) that much more jarring. With that being said, I listened to the whole thing again and a lot of little things have really come together for me. "Jesusland" and "Bastard" are still two of Folds' best tunes, and more challenging fare like "Time" and "Sentimental Guy" sound much more familiar (and, therefore, better) to me. I still say the album is hurt severely by its track sequencing. The most rollicking numbers are shoved to the front, leaving the slower fare to take up the rear. I also think "Prison Food" was the wrong song to end the album on.

Weezer, Make Believe
Unlike the Stereogum crowd, who seem content to bash Weezer when given any such opportunity, I happen to like recent releases like Maladroit and now, I am really digging Make Believe. If you are brave enough to admit that you have this album in your possession, give it a spin and IGNORE the fact that the two simplest songs are the hit singles.

Bloc Party, Silent Alarm
While that lead singer's voice does begin to grate on your nerves around track six, Bloc Party's debut is still quite impressive. "Like Eating Glass" is probably my favorite song of 2005 (so far). And the utter urgency of that song (along with more than half the songs on the album) add to the fast-paced nature of this band's hard rock attitude. Has anyone heard the remix album that they recently released? I'd like to hear it.

Has anyone else revisited an older album that they didn't care for initially, only to find that it's actually pretty good?

No comments: