Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Spoon Ruins Best Song With Crappy Video

So, a few months ago, I was singing the praises of Spoon's newest album Gimme Fiction and especially, the second track off it, "The Two Sides of Monsieur Valentine." Well, Catbirdseat just pointed me in the direction of their new video for it and, in my humble opinion, it doesn't do the song justice at all. To tell you the truth, I have been very unimpressed with all of Spoon's videos. None really capture the spirit of the songs they're supposed to promote. I guess I'm a stickler on these things 'cause I've been pampered on videos by true visionaries like Spike Jonze and Michel Gondry.

Speaking of horrid videos, what the f*ck's with Green Day? "Wake Me Up When September Ends" is a truly great song, which Green Day knows or they wouldn't have sequenced it on the album the way they did (it doesn't segue into any other songs, it comes right before the final medley "Homecoming"). So why does the video suck horribly?? Certainly, it's cinematic, which would've been a good idea if the two actors they had portray the soldier and the girlfriend weren't such bad actors!! Seriously, they should've had a contest where fans submitted video ideas. I'm sure any one of them could've come up with something better.

Previously: I talk about cool videos by The White Stripes, Mint Royale, The Decemberists, Daft Punk, and The Chemical Brothers.

Update: So, according to Catbirdseat, the Spoon video's not an official one. Good. Hopefully, theirs will be better.

2 comments:

maggie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey, yeah, that "Monsieur Valentin" video is not something the band had any hand in producing. I'm not even sure they know it exists. That song definitely deserves a "real" video.